A quote by Montayne | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Thursday 4 October 2007

A quote by Montayne

Yesterday, I went to a lawyer's office with two male friends. On the door of lawyer's office, we saw this quote...

"I gather the flowers by the way wayside, by the brooks and in the meadows, and only the string with which I bind them is my own." Montayne

The only problem is...we all gave different interpretations to this quote...and none of us agreed the other was right.

So, I decided to bring it here to see what you guys think this quote means and to know who got it right amongst the three of us.

What exactly is the writer trying to say? What is it's literal meaning? Chude, if you see this, I also want to know what you think...

10 comments:

Lulu said...

how i found your blog was very interesting so im goin to make a comment. What the lawyer meant is he gathers distillates from many sources and presents them to his clients in a bouquet of service(s). He is obviously well read, with a teachable spirit. 1.39 am girlfriend?!! Do you have a significant other?

snazzy said...

For some reason I'm in a literary mode, and so I will take a guess wrt the quotation.

As one of my english professors used to say "Every meaning is right, as long as it is supported by the text."

I think I would say that it's a metaphor and not to be taken literally. The impression I get when I read it is of a man saying that he gets his ideas from different places but he owns the synthesis of the ideas. So the individual flowers belong to others, but he made the bunch.

Anonymous said...

He obtains information from wherever available, but channels and applies the knowledge grasped for the benefit of his clients.

Pete

Anonymous said...

Just an addendum to what snazzy above wrote.
The writer's contribution (the string) while almost useless alone,is very significant because without the string to hold the bunch together,the flowers may never be seen nor appreciated.
Great blog.I love you and your ideas and i never miss reading it everyday.

cally-waffybabe said...

@ Snazzy: Spot on. My thoughts exactly.

Anonymous said...

Montaigne is the father of the Essay, the word Essais is connected to him. Your Lawyer should start by getting the great essayist's name right duh!

LurLar said...

I think he is talking more about gathering his own intelligence or that speacial thing from diff kinda places nd people,but all in all his own inner self is d foundation,nd guide to the knowledge or intelligence he has acquired. I might be totally off line....

Anonymous said...

''i listen to a lot of crap from people,but at the end of the day,i make the decision and pay the price if i am wrong''

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but my english lingo never reach dat level yet.

Anonymous said...

nne you know say i no see this thing since sha? and thank God because i no wan think too much these days!

Recent Posts