What is racist about avatar? | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 15 January 2010

What is racist about avatar?



What's all the hoopla about the movie Avatar being racist? What is racist about it?

"Avatar" is being criticized by some people who allege it contains racist themes — the white hero once again saving the primitive natives.

Since the film opened to widespread critical acclaim over three weeks ago, hundreds of blog posts, newspaper articles, tweets and YouTube videos have said things such as the film is "a fantasy about race told from the point of view of white people" and that it reinforces "the white Messiah fable."

The film's writer and director, James Cameron, says the real theme is about respecting others' differences.

Also the Vatican has spoken out against the film for 'attempting to lead the flock away from God with his “Nature Worship”'. It criticized Avatar for flirting with modern doctrines that promote the worship of nature as a substitute for religion.

I see!
What's your take on this? Is Avatar racist? And did it 'attempt' to lead the flock away from God? Like anything can do that...abegi. It's a work of fiction...Get over it!

6 comments:

nonimus said...

Linda I like you, but sometimes you make terribly ignorant statements. Yes! in this world anything can lead the flock away from God. ANYTHING! there is nothing to get over here. It might seem subtle at first but it's not until the damage has been done people begin to realize how far away they have strayed. The Vatican is simply referring to the growing secularity and alarming turn of people to "Humanitarian" religion.
Also AVATA is open for interpretation and if that's how some people perceive it, that's how they perceive it!!!
As I mentioned earlier, I like you, but really honey, some statements should have a lot more thought put in them.

Anonymous said...

I didnt even enjoy the movie at all. It was somehow gross, so I never bothered to waste my brain cells thinking 'is it biased?' till now... who knows? I sh know that I disliked the movie A LOT!

Anonymous said...

please whatever happened to the days when you could just see a movie, enjoy it and get on with life!!!
btw, Linda's opinion is NOT ignorant, simply her own point of view!

Anonymous said...

the movie just pin point America as they terrorist they really are!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey I love the blog. I've been looking for more information on Learn To Rap and I was wondering if you have any good tips or pointers? I'm getting ready to move and I need all the information I can get. Thanks!

I beg o! said...

Come on now Linda, its pretty obvious the film is racist. The people living in the wild with nature, have dark skin, tails and speak a funny language. The intelligent white man with his sophisticated weapons, need for resources and lack of understanding for community. Its obvious its an enactment of the white man invading Africa and its people to secure Africa's natural resources. You seriously can't see that?

Recent Posts