Tiger Woods apologises to the world - His statement | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 19 February 2010

Tiger Woods apologises to the world - His statement

















'I know I have bitterly disappointed all of you. I have made you question who I am and how I could have done the things I did. I am embarrassed I have put you in this position. For all I have done, I am so sorry. I have a lot to atone for. I want to say to each of you simply and directly: I am deeply sorry for the irresponsible and selfish behaviour I engaged in. People want to know how I could have done these things to my wife Elin and my children. I have let you down. I have let down my fans. For many of you, especially my friends, my behaviour has been a personal disappointment. For those of you who work for me, I have let you down personally and professionally. Elin never hit me that night or any other night. There has never been an episode of domestic violence in our marriage, ever. Elin has shown immense grace and poise throughout this ordeal. Elin deserves praise not blame. The issue involved here was my repeated irresponsible behaviour.
I was unfaithful, I had affairs, I cheated. What I did was not acceptable and I am the only person to blame. I stopped living by the core values that I was taught to believe in. I knew my actions were wrong but I convinced myself that normal rules did not apply. I never thought about who I was hurting. Instead, I thought only about myself. I ran straight through the boundaries that a married couple should live by - I thought I could get away with everything I wanted to. I felt that I had worked hard my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me. I felt I was entitled. Thanks to money and fame, I did not have to go far to find them."















"I was wrong, I was foolish, I don't get to play by different rules. The same boundaries that apply to everyone apply to me. I brought this shame on myself, I hurt my wife, my kids, my mother, my wife's family, my friends, my foundation and kids all around the world who admired me. I have had a lot of time to think about what I have done. My failures have made me look at myself in a way I never wanted to before. It is now up to me to make amends and that starts by never repeating the mistakes I have made. It is up to me to start living a life of integrity. Achievements on the golf course are only part of setting an example. Character and decency are what really count. Parents used to point to me as a role model for their kids. I owe all those families a special apology. I want to say to them I am truly sorry. As Elin pointed out to me, my real apology to her will not come in the form of words. It will come from my behaviour over time. We have a lot to discuss. I do plan to return to golf one day, I just don't know when that day will be. I don't rule out that it will be this year. When I do return, I need to make my behaviour more respectful of the game. It's hard to admit that I need help, but I do. I have a long way to go but I am taking my first steps in the right direction. I owe it to my family to become a better person - I owe it to those close to me to become a better man. That is what my focus will be. I have a lot of work to do and I intend to commit myself to doing it. I need to regain my balance and be centred so that I can save the things that are the most important to me - my marriage and my children.I ask you to find room in your heart to one day believe in me again.'

Wood's mother Tida gives him a hug after the statement

Leaving the room in tears


Tiger has been linked to 12 women since November. They are: Top row, from left - Jaimee Grubbs, Holly Sampson, Jamie Jungers, Mindy Lawton. Middle row - Cori Rist, Kalika Moquin, Rachel Uchitel, Loredana Jolie. Bottom row - Theresa Rogers, Julie Postle, Joslyn James and a mystery 12th woman.
***

What do you think of Tiger's apology?
Was it really necessary?

14 comments:

NaijaScorpio said...

I don't think he owes the world an apology. He should focus on his family. But then again, millions of people looked up to him as a role model, so maybe he does owe the world an apology. Whatever works for him. Makes no difference to me.

Myne said...

He's a public figure who makes money not just from playing golf but from people's belief in him and his word through endorsements. I guess he has to apologize if he hopes to get back to that position again.

Me which one consain me? All the best to him and his family.

afrochic said...

Awww.....tiger's tugging at my heartstrings. the apology's totally commendable.Now that's a real man if u ask me. Yeah, with all his position, he didn't have 2 apologise, but it was the proper thingee 2 do.Way 2 go tiger!!it's not hw many times you fail but hw many times u get right back up.

Unknown said...

REAL heavy stuff, his apology ,that is. but for heaven's sake everyone should just free the guy please.. He's paid his dues for crying out loud.He's not the first who's cheated and won't be the last, celeb or not.. No one's perfect so no should pass judgment or comment.
www.askchacha4free.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

na waooo, thats why GOD say make i become naija guy, me naija boi after i don pay money enjoy myself finish i go con still go television go tell them say i beg i no no know say weytin i dey do na bad thing. this guy is apologising to save him money not becos he is truely sorry. if na baba bilik carpenta way get 1 wife an so many arristo, we no go dey hear this one. me i tire for oyinbo ooo. bros tiger na oyinbo or black man?

Anonymous said...

i dont know why he is apologizing...the only people that need his apology are his family members.I bet all the exec of the company that endorsed him all have/had extramarital affairs but trust people to act so sanctimonious and judgemental

Tatababe said...

Quite frankly I felt sorry for him, but then again that's what he gets for messing around yet portraying himself as a family man. I particularly liked that he mentioned sthing to the effect of learning to apply his spiritual knowledge to the other aspects of his life, it'll totally keep him grounded if he does the necessary work.
I wish him all the best and hope others can learn from this.

Anonymous said...

I really don't see the reason why he needs to apologize to the PUBLIC ... What's everyone's business with his personal life? Nobody holy pass abeg.

This is ridiculous.

. said...

I agree with sting he does no owe the world and apology, he did not force people to watch him and he is not God. I applaud him for acknowledging his indiscretions

@UdegbunamChuks said...

Sorry guys but I feel this is BS. Why should he apologise to the world? It's STRICTLY between him and his wife. SIMPLE! Moving on please. It's about time we realise
celebrities are living their lives not ours.

Miz Moi said...

he now looks all good and holy. well i'm not interested in his apology but the money he makes does not drop from the sky y'know. apart from the golf he plays, he gets a lot of money from endorsements. his PR guys must have told him he HAS to apologize or his career is over. what's a guy to do? tiger,think again when u see a hot girl in a mini skirt. golf is a lifelong game. you can still play it when u're 60 and i'm sure you want to keep on playing (on the golf course, that is!)

Freaaaaakazoiddd said...

I dont even know hw many people i've ad sex with and still plan to anyway..as long as it's safe...and hell no i aint apologising to nobadddyy. PS for all them grills, I'm gay..lmfao

fulani chic said...

wuz finkin d same bloody fing!he owes no 1 shit except his family nd frinds! its sooo sad hw d fukin media have 2 suck up on pplz private lifez 2 live!its sickening!nd d bloody whores have gotten their 15 minutes of fame,.,.err r dey happy naw!geeez,.,.,i honestly dnt knw wat kind of world we live in!2 much hypocracy,.,.hw many billions of men cheat??p.s,.,m nt sayin its right! bt suddenly tiger does it nd its d end of d world!ppl rilly need 2 get more meaningful things 2 do, therez mre 2 life dan hungrily running on scavenger hunts of celebrities!LET DEM BE!THEY HAV LIVES OTHER DAN D ONES U SEE ON T.V!nuff sed,.,.,serzly m fumin!!dis shit has been eatin me up 4 tooo long!

kechy said...

NEXT ARTICLE ABEG

Recent Posts