Drake's Letter To Aaliyah | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 27 August 2010

Drake's Letter To Aaliyah


























Drake is a huge fan of Aaliyah as evidenced by TML‘s “Unforgettable” which samples her song “At Your Best”. On the ninth anniversary of Ms. Haughton’s passing, Drake wrote a letter in tribute to her. Aaliyah Dana Haughton died August 25, 2001

He writes:
Dear Dana,
I’ve never lost a parent, a friend, or a lover but I will never forget this day for the rest of my life. I remember getting the news that you had passed and it connected with my heart like a clean shot from Muhammad Ali. I was crushed. Not only was I one of your biggest fans but I was truly in love with you. I loved the way you carried yourself, the way you dressed, the confidence with which you addressed passion and relationships in your music. I said to myself that even if we never met, I wanted a woman in my life just like you. I am pained that we will never get to connect now that music ended up being my career path. But you should know, we all listen to you everyday and we remain inspired and moved by all that you’ve given the world. I hope I make the right life choices so I can end up in heaven where I know you rest your head. I’ll continue to make music in your honor until the day we finally meet. Dinner’s on me!
Love you always and forever,
Drake

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww that brought tears to my eyes I will never forget the day I learned she passed. It was a beautiful sunday morning and I went to buy the Sunday Star Ledger. As I was about to start flipping thru my eyes froze on the headlime of pg 3 and saw she died in a plane crash. It was heartbreaking

Anonymous said...

Sleeping beauty. May she continue to RIP. I hope Damon Dash (her BF when she died) doesn't freak out over this letter. He can be erratic sometimes!

Dith said...

Damon Dash was not her bf at the time of her when she died. Matter of fact she was engaged to some regular Joe. How do I know this? I was and I am still an Aaliyah STAN!

Loved d letter! so very touching.
Aaliyah was a very very rare gem. There truly is no female artist 2day whose spirit I can compare 2 hers.
She just seemed like such a lovely person, which is y when she died, I cried as though I had lost a part of me.

Michael Jackson is d only celeb to hv jst as much, if not greater..impact on me.
R.I.P Angels
xx

Anonymous said...

I'm not a hardcore Aaliyah fan, but the letter is touching. Let me flip it but to Michael Jackson. He's the only one that I still can't get over his death. I'm not the type to get easily emotional, but I still cry sometimes thinking about Michael, listening to his music, watching his interviews...gosh, I'm even crying right now.

I feel like I knew him. He had a huge impact on me. How can I feel him so much without even knowing him personally? Well, because he's a rare gem. I wished he had the life that he wanted, I wish he had what he truly deserved and I hope he's in a better place.

To the greatest humanitarian, the greatest entertainer ever whose talent was out of this world, an incredible father, a man with so much passion and love, a man who really wanted the world to be a better place, a man who always wished others good but the world wished him bad and most importantly a very humble man. R.I.P Michael, I love you and you are truly missed.

Anonymous said...

@$Dith her family has come out even and said and it is a well known fact that Aaliyah and Damon were together at the time of her death. You can tell she was the love of his life in all their pics they were always smiling. Sad to say with his wife he married years later he never smiled with her. RIP beautiful Aaliyah.

Anonymous said...

someone hold my ears while down this beer

Recent Posts